There are three super-foods in this Apple-Grape "Superfood" Smoothie: Astragalus, Chia seed, and Cinnamon. Although it is another Thickalicious smoothie, we have cut the oats down to a 1/2 Cup and amped up the (Medjool) dates to a dozen from the 6 I have used in the other recipes. If you love Apple Crisp dessert, you will love this sweet and tasty breakfast smoothie.
Layer the following in a Blender Carafe (or in 2 bunches for less powerful blenders):
- 1/2 C. Rolled Oats }soak in 1 C. of Water 30 min. before
- 1 tsp. Chia Seed (ground in a coffee bean grinder) }soak in above 1 C. of Water before
- 1 tsp. Astragalus Powder (More information about this Chinese herb at bottom of this post)
- 1 T. Cinnamon
- 12 Dates, pitted
- 1 C. Frozen Green Grapes
- 2 juicy Apples, cored and chopped (I used McIntosh Apples, juicy and flavourful)
- 1 large handful of Tender Greens
Whirl up and enjoy!
Product Description for Astragalus
Astragalus root is one of many herbs
known by several names. Astragalus
membranaceus and Astragalus
propinquus are both Latin names for
the unique plant more commonly known
as Astragalus root.
Astragalus comes from the pea family,
and has been used for thousands of
years in traditional Chinese medicine.
Astragalus herb is thought to boost
overall vitality. In Chinese medicine
it has been historically used to promote
healing and reduce pain.